The question of buying (or renting, as this is yet another dilemma) a used vending machine instead of a new one is often being asked, whether considering an office coffee dispenser or chain of heavy-duty custom vending machines. This might be a rather difficult decision, not only because of the price differences but also because there is another type of used vending machines – those refurbished by manufacturers or repairmen. Some of them can look as good as new, let alone working like one. Therefore we present all the pros and cons of new and used vending machines to help you decide for yourself.
Advantages of used vending machines
- The main advantage, as you might have guessed, is the lower price. This is especially attractive to people starting their vending machine business or unwilling to invest much at the initial stages.
- This also means you can buy more machines for the same amount of money and get revenue faster.
- Lower risk of theft or damage. This is especially important if you plan to bestow you vending machine in a public place. In the unfortunate case you still lose your machine, your loss is smaller than with a new one.
Disadvantages of used vending machines
- Susceptible for breaking. You can never be sure how long it will work without faults.
- Comes with no warranty. If you buy used machine from someone, great chances are they will give you no warranty whatsoever. This does not necessarily apply for refurbished vending machines sold by their original manufacturer.
- Repairing costs. Many buyers counting their income forget to include possible fixing expenses. There is always a chance you might need to replace the whole vending machine, and this can be really painful if no insurance policy applies.
Making the right choice
As you can see, there is no simple solution, and everyone must choose regarding their own needs, but the main advice is, whether buying a used or new one, to deal with well-known and respectable sellers and test the machines before buying to make sure everything works as it should.
Now as you have acquainted yourselves with the used and new vending machines, fill out this short form to get a free PDF with the information on buying vs renting and the importance of ‘MTBF’ or ‘First Time Fix’ in choosing the right vending machine.